Thursday, December 24, 2009

How do you feel about using Flash to create modern, animated adaptations of Shakespeare?

The language of Shakespeare is basically the same, but the setting has been modernized. Check out this Flash animated, modern adaptation of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing


http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/muchado


Tell me if you would find this type of animation fun, useful, enjoyable, helpful, etc., for studying, or just enjoying, Shakespeare.





I'd also like to know if you just plain hate it too, and if you do what would improve it.How do you feel about using Flash to create modern, animated adaptations of Shakespeare?
I think anything that can bring Shakespeare's works to new audiences is terrific...and in this internet age, a Flash adaptation is a great way to do that.How do you feel about using Flash to create modern, animated adaptations of Shakespeare?
They should add subtitles to the old text in connotative context.





Shakespeare was a hilarious writer.
I hate flash.
I loved it. Haven't you thought about making other adaptations? As a drama teacher I think it is a wonderful tool for teaching Shakespeare to children
Okay, I looked at the first few scenes of the animation. Here are my reactions:





1) I understand what they're trying to do. They're reaching out to an audience that finds Shakespearean text difficult at best, and irrelevant at worst.





2) I absolutely disagree with their essential premise, which seems to be that, because the story deals with Dukes and Princes, modern audiences (young ones in particular) couldn't POSSIBLY be interested in it. Don't people still read tales of King Arthur? Didn't we all flock to see the films of Tolkien's ';Lord of the Rings';? It's not ROYALTY that's the distancing factor here.





If anything, I think the prologue to the animated ';Much Ado'; points out the fact that, for most students, the initial CLASSROOM exposure to Shakespeare's works is woefully inadequate. Teachers who don't ';get it'; themselves try to teach the stuff to students who need a proper grounding and context in order to appreciate it themselves.





You know how I know this? Because my OWN first exposure to Shakespeare was bloody awful! Some teacher told our class to read ';King Lear'; and ';Henry IV, part one,'; with no preparation or introduction. I don't think I've ever had a more unpleasant educational experience. It made me feel STUPID, frankly.





Fortunately, the next teacher I had who approached Shakespeare was one of those rare enlightened souls who knew the material, loved the material, and knew how to share his enthusiasm with his students. That guy changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment