Thursday, December 24, 2009

How come the flash on my camera overexposes the picture?

I have the 580EX II on my 5D. The flash is set to ETTL, but it almost always overexposes... why?How come the flash on my camera overexposes the picture?
In theory it should not overexpose. Yes, it is ';supposed'; to measure reflected light back from the subject for correct flash output. However, that in itself can be a problem. Some surfaces will really throw this reading off and the flash can under or over expose. It could even be the flash is not quite up to spec as to function. The flash does have full control of EV though. If you are getting consistent overexposure, it is very simple and quick to set in an exposure value of -1 or -2 or whatever works for you. I use a 580 EX with Canon DSLR and always dial in +1 EV on my flash, but I use a Gary Fong diffuser on the flash. The ETTL ';should'; compensate for any diffusion device mounted to the flash, but I find it ';just aint so';. I always have better results with the +1 EV set into the flash. So in your case, just experiment with setting a negative EV from the outset and see the results.





I feel this in one area where Nikon is better than Canon. Canon is only basing it's flash exposure on reflected light. Nikon does this also, but adds the element of distance into the equation, which is to me a far more accurate measurement. The lens tells the camera focal distance, and this information is also used in determining flash output. Wish Canon would do the same thing.





steveHow come the flash on my camera overexposes the picture?
Have you programed your camera for your flash? Have you tried the program mode with your flash? Have you tried the custom flash mode that links your camera to the flash? Have you set the curtain sync to 1st curtain or 2nd curtain? These are just some factors that may cause the over exposure of your shots.





If you photo-shop your shots, you can take out the over exposure. If you underexpose, it's hard to correct even in photo-shop.
Its time to visit the Owner's Manual for your camera and read the section on using flash. The camera and flash must communicate and if you have the camera in the wrong mode they may be unable to work together. The purpose of E-TTL is for the camera to actually control the flash by metering the flash off the sensor to produce a perfect exposure. This function may be available only in Auto Mode.





Of course you can always use full manual if you don't mind referring to the flash to set the aperture based on the ISO/Distance scale. That's how I used to do it back when I used my Vivitar 283 with a Minolta 202 35mm film camera. Set the ISO on the flash and select a shooting mode (Red, Yellow, Blue or Purple) and look at the dial and see what distance and f-stop I should shoot at. Red might tell me f4 at 30 feet so if I was using bounce flash from, say, 10 feet I'd use f4. (You have to allow for the distance from the flash to the ceiling and from the ceiling to the subject and then from the subject back to the camera). If the little green light on the back of the flash lit up I knew the exposure was right.





So check the camera's Manual for the correct Mode for using flash and taking full advantage of the E-TTL circuitry. Then give thanks to Minolta for actually inventing off-film flash metering back in 1981.
well under normal circumstances the flash is not the problem.


try either of the 2 following things or try both:


1. lower your shutter speed or


2. lower you appature





becoming familiar w/ your camera can help create great photos...


by blending the functions on your camera you should be ok : )


you'll get even if it takes alittle time.





and rest asssured see the following link:


by over exposing my photos i was able to get the look i was looking for in my black and white photos..





http://JuanJimenez.imagekind.com/
because cameras are stupid recording devices only as good as the operator, automatic is the camera giving you a random result - whatever it thinks is best, take control, shoot manually and you control the camera and the output





set the flash to fill maybe or half the output or learn how to use flash manually,





its easy use the formula - - gn/fstop=distance
Lower your shutter speed, or aperture. Or you can other adjust the output of your flash (if your camera will let you do that)
I have been, I suppose, lucky with mine.





http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/3394鈥?/a>





What settings do you have on yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment